Peredelkino is presumably the source for the name of Bulgakov's Perelygino, where elite writers like Lavrovich have their dachas. Bulgakov places his Perelygino on the Kliazma, which is where another writers' colony was: Bolshevo.

Located a short train ride from Moscow, Peredelkino became a writers' colony only in 1938. Its most famous residents were Kornei Chukovsky and Boris Pasternak, whose dacha appears below.

The "Dom tvorchestva"--"House of Creativity" at Peredelkino pictured here was not in fact built until 1954, but it is indicative of the kind of pampered life officially sanctioned writers could live.