A marvelous restaurant on the Arbat--presumably the Praga, at Arbat 2. Originally on this site was a restaurant frequented by cabbies and known as "Braga"--home brew. In 1896 the entire building was won by the merchant Tararykin on a bet at playing billiards with his left hand. He spared no expense in renovating the restaurant, employing the architects Kekushev and Ericson. Moscow's best chefs, Olivier and Testov worked here. After the revolution it became a cheap cafeteria, then in the 30s a special canteen for Stalin's bodyguards. Today it is again an expensive and elegant restaurant with nine palatial dining rooms and separate smaller private rooms.
The Praga in 1998
See the Moscow Guide on the Praga today!